Flooding can happen anywhere at anytime. Actually it’s one of the most common natural disaster in the US causing billions of dollars in losses. Most homeowners policies will not cover water damage due to this. Often times you will need to purchase a separate flood insurance for your home.
Protect Your Home from Water Damage
- Clean your rain gutter in the spring and fall
- Make sure your sump pump is working, test them often
- Have sandbags ready just in case to put under doors
- Move expensive items to higher grounds or upstairs
- Protect irreplaceables
- Stay updated on the weather
- Make sure down sprouts extend far away from your home
- Invest in flood sensors
First off, keep in mind that these are just tips and while you can do everything in your power to stop water damage, nothing is guaranteed. If you live in a flood prone zone, we advise you to get that extra flood insurance as security.